Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A lot of Utah in one day

About a week and a half ago, we went with Tanner and Allie, and Lisa and Shawn to visit many of Utah's wonderful places. I wasn't expecting the day to be as fun as it turned out to be, and I really enjoyed learning more about the state I've been in for over 4 years (can you believe it??)! We started the day off with "This is the place," which I haven't been to since I was a little girl. It was really cool to read the stories and see statues of the people involved in the coming to Utah. We then headed to Promontory Point, which is a LONG drive. Tyler and I fell asleep for almost an hour and a half, and we still a little ways to go. If you haven't heard of Promontory Point (like myself before I went), it's where the east coast railroad and west coast railroad met. There's the "golden spike," which the last spike they put in the railroad. It's not actually at Promontory Point, but we did see some replicas and other really cool things. They had 2 replicas of the trains they used to use as well...definitely my favorite part of the whole place. After Promontory Point, we headed to the Great Salt Lake. It smelled awful! Everybody but myself (because my shoes were paper thin and would get SO ruined) walked out to where the water starts, and they saw several dead birds...gross! After the Great Salt Lake, we went to our last Utah monument for the day...Kennecott Copper Mine. It was quite the site. The trucks they use for that place are HUGE. Massive. Lastly, we went to dinner at "The Pie." We've never eaten there before, but have only heard great things about it. It's quite a dive, but it was just as good as everybody said, and better! Yum!
All in all, it was a really fun day, and it was good to finally see the things that I keep hearing so much about.

No comments:

Post a Comment