Being a teacher is a funny thing. When you're a student, it looks so easy. Easy enough, that anybody could do it, right? Wrong! It's not that being a teacher is hard necessarily, but it's a lot of work and it's difficult work. It's very rewarding too. When a student who is normally confused and lost during a discussion understands what you are saying (finally), it's a a really good moment. Being a teacher has been overwhelming for me and at times I think to myself, what am I doing and what did I get myself into? However, it's days like today when I think, today was a good day and I remember why I chose this profession... The kids were great, almost the entire day. Mind you, it was an early out today so I only had them until 1:30, but still, they were great compared to the last couple days. At the end of the day 2 students had me in tears because I was laughing so hard, and that really made my day. I'm not sure why and I have no recollection of what the 3 of us were even talking about, but it made me happy and it made me glad that I can be apart of so many childrens lives. I know for a fact that some of these students really need me and my support, and I'm starting to really love each and every one of my students more and more, even the ones who make me go crazy once in a while :) A realization I have had in the last few weeks is that children are much easier to teach and connect with when they're in small groups or alone...teaching 26 ten year olds all at the same time is tough, but they are so sweet and nice when I've got their undivided attention.
I just wanted to blog about how overwhelmed but happy I am today (and hopefully this will happen on several more days) and how it's the little things that really make a day better (at least for me).
*Side note: remember when teachers would say, "I really don't want to do this but you guys are making me take away blank (some sort of reward) or making me give you more homework?" Do you?? Well, I do. And I remember thinking, well just don't give us more homework, or don't take our reward away. Well, I find myself doing this every day. It's interesting what kinds of things happen (especially when you swore they would never happen) when you become an adult.
I just wanted to blog about how overwhelmed but happy I am today (and hopefully this will happen on several more days) and how it's the little things that really make a day better (at least for me).
*Side note: remember when teachers would say, "I really don't want to do this but you guys are making me take away blank (some sort of reward) or making me give you more homework?" Do you?? Well, I do. And I remember thinking, well just don't give us more homework, or don't take our reward away. Well, I find myself doing this every day. It's interesting what kinds of things happen (especially when you swore they would never happen) when you become an adult.
my friend Marissa is a first grade teacher and she just started a few weeks ago... she posted this as her facebook status today:
ReplyDeleteOne of my kiddos came up to me today to say one of the boys was saying bad words... these bad words included the words "boyfriend" and "booty"
I thought it was just the cutest thing and thought i'd share!
--Lauren Jenkins