I've been reading The Glass Castle lately and I love it (I still have about 50 pages, give or take 10). It really is a great read, and it's very well written. However, (and if you haven't read the book, but want to, then don't read the rest of this) I find myself getting so upset and angry at the parents of Jeannette. They are irresponsible, unmotivated, know-it-alls. Jeannette's father is nothing but a lousy drunk and he never does anything to help his family. Nobody in the family has the guts to stand up to him and it makes me so mad. I think this is a great book for people to read because they can see the impact that unmotivated, lazy parents have on children. Jeannette and her siblings are never bathed, clean, wearing new clothes, and they live in their cars or shacks their parents can barely afford. It's so sad.
It makes me even sadder because I think of my fifth grade class this coming fall and hope that none of my students are in positions like Jeannette. I don't think I could stop myself from helping them if they were.
I think the part in the book that makes me the most upset is that Jeannette's parents will never accept help...from anyone! They do not act like adults and they are extremely selfish. They would rather live in filth and poverty then accept help from others.
Anyway, I needed to get my frustration out about this book. I'm close to being done, and I can't wait to find out how it ends.
No comments:
Post a Comment